I am very glad and proud to announce here that I’ve came up with a prototype of dancer2 that pleases me enough to be advertised.
dancer2 is a complete rewrite of Dancer aiming at providing the same awesomeness with the following major changes:
- no more globals in the core
- 100% object-oriented backend (based on Moo)
- better scoping for sub-applications
- better design (no more encapsulation violations, Law of Demeter, …)
It’s not finished yet (dancer2 supports 80% of the Dancer’s DSL) but all the core is done. It’s well tested (around 80% of code coverage at this point) and I think the last 20% wont be hard to implement (session and serializer keywords mostly).
It’s able to run simple applications (it can run the PerlDancer.org
website for instance).
Of course, with your real-life applications, chances are that it will break in many places, this is where you can help. I’d like to have as many reports as possible regarding upgrades tests.
You can test very easily your app with dancer2:
$ git clone http://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2.git $ cd YOUR_APP $ perl -I../dancer2/lib bin/app.pl
Also, important to know: most of the plugins may not be working well.
Here are the next steps:
- Finish the DSL
- Work on plugins backward compat
- Write a “delta” POD (also list the deprecations)
- Write a Dancer::BackwardCompat glue module for easier upgrades